Jackie will bring a wealth of experience to the LAUSD Board of Education
Throughout her leadership on the LAUSD School Board, LA City Council, and CA State Assembly, Jackie Goldberg has been a champion of quality public education and issues affecting working families. She is a progressive voice that has led the way on landmark policies, working with others to shape our City and improve the quality of life for Angelenos including:
- Creation of a districtwide K-12 dual language education program
- Authorship of the first citywide landmark “Living Wage” ordinance
- Development of multiple housing initiatives that protect LA City renters, such as the Systematic Code Enforcement program and the Urgent Repair program
- Authorship of two Statewide Education Bond Issues for ($4 Billion in 2001-2002, $1 Billion in 2006) that provided LAUSD funding to build new schools that relieved the overcrowding at district schools
- Author of both the first citywide and statewide historic domestic partner legislation
- Co-founder of LACER Afterschool Program that serves as many as 4,000 students annually at middle schools and high schools in central Los Angeles
Jackie’s candid demeanor, her knowledgeable command of the issues and her emphasis on consensus-building, pragmatism and foresight in creating legislation won her praise and respect from both her constituency and her colleagues in the School District, at Los Angeles City Hall and in Sacramento.
Jackie lives with her spouse, Sharon Stricker, in Echo Park, where they have lived for almost 40 years.