Title: Political Associate
Organization: LGBTQ+ Victory Fund
Location: Washington, DC, Preferred
Reports to: Political Manager and VP of Political Programs
For over three decades, LGBTQ+ Victory Fund and LGBTQ+ Victory Institute have helped to train, place, and elect thousands of openly LGBTQ+ public officials at every level of government. Our leaders have been catalysts for expanding legal rights for LGBTQ+ people across the country, and they have transformed our nation’s policies and shifted our political landscape towards equality, one election at a time. Today, over 1200 LGBTQ+ Americans are serving in elected office due to the work of Victory. Victory’s work continues as LGBTQ+ people are severely underrepresented in all levels of government – serving in only 0.23% of all elected offices in the United States.
LGBTQ+ Victory Fund is seeking a Political Associate. The Political Associate is an integral part of the political team and assists with Victory’s endorsement process, data collection, candidate recruitment and pipelining.
Reporting to the Political Manager, the Political Associate helps to ensure the smooth operation of the political team. The individual oversees projects that help synthesize candidate assessments and data tracking, as well as recognize political opportunities and pipelining future candidates. They are also charged with developing and maintaining key relationships and completing certain administrative tasks such as scheduling internal and external meetings.
- Help research the campaigns of endorsement applicants and assist in writing reviews of races for the Victory Campaign Board (our endorsement board) and staff as assigned.
- Assist the communications and political teams to research and ensure the accuracy of information for candidate profiles on the Victory website and for potential research narratives.
- Update Victory Candidate Pipeline and other databases daily.
- Manage and oversee multiple databases of potential candidates, elected officials and other stakeholders and serve as the point person for quality control.
- Support monthly endorsement slates and the creation thereof.
- Assist in ongoing reviews of endorsed candidates’ campaigns to assess Victory Fund’s involvement.
- Identify and develop relationships with organizations and key individuals who could help assess the political landscape in key races.
- Make recommendations to the Political Team on Victory Fund’s involvement in certain races and maintain consistent communication with broader Political Team regarding race statuses.
- Communicate regularly with campaigns to secure updates and deepen relationships.
- Oversee the tracking of all identified LGBTQ election results and develop election briefs for endorsed campaigns in coordination with the other Political Associate and Political Managers.
- Coordinate with Victory Campaign Board Manager for implementation of sponsored fundraising events.
- Deploy to assist endorsed campaigns as needed.
Team Support and Administration
- Maintain team meeting agendas and manage scheduling of joint team meetings.
- Complete requests from other teams in a timely manner and generate ideas for long-term projects, including cross-team collaboration efforts regarding data and communications.
- Assist in developing quarterly Board presentations in conjunction with the political team.
- Assist in scheduling for the Vice President of Political Programs and the Political Team.
- Assist the political team in organizational tracking and maintaining of relationships with allied organizations.
- Support the Political Managers in cross-team data and research-based tasks.
- Coordinate efforts to solicit endorsement applications monthly.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Commitment to the mission is a must.
- One to two cycles of political experience in field, management, and/or research work.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- Approaches work with commitment, flexibility and diligence.
- Ability to handle and compile privileged information.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, volunteers, candidates, and partner organizations.
- Self-starter, able to work independently when needed.
- Position location is in Washington, DC preferred. The location of a candidate applying to the position and/or willingness of the candidate to relocate to the Washington, DC area may be taken into account when making hiring decisions.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $60,000 commensurate with experience. Please include salary requirements in your materials.
Full-time staff are eligible for Victory’s comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, dental, health reimbursement account, medical flexible spending account, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, 401k, parental leave and generous paid time off.
Victory is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or walk-ins please.