For over 25 years, the Victory Fund and Institute have helped to train, place, and elect thousands of openly LGBTQ public officials at every level of government. Our leaders have been catalysts for expanding legal rights for LGBTQ people across the country, and they have transformed our nation’s policies and shifted our political landscape towards equality, one election at a time. Today, some 500 LGBTQ Americans are serving in elected office due to the work of Victory, including 6 Members of Congress, and the nation’s first out U.S. Senator.
Victory Fund is seeking a Political Manager to work directly with LGBTQ candidates to achieve big wins up and down the ballot. Reporting to the Political Director, the Political Manager oversees the candidate endorsement process; supports Victory endorsed candidates with best practices around messaging, fundraising and campaigning; and will assist the Political Director with research and messaging. The Manager will execute strategies to grow the organization and our impact, work with the Political Director to target and prioritize key races, and assist the political department to build a pipeline of candidates for 2020 races and beyond.
The ideal candidate will have campaign experience and a proven track record of building relationships with candidates and elected officials. They will also have some familiarity with political fundraising and campaign plans. Commitment to the mission is a must.
- The Political Manager will be responsible for the endorsement process of the Victory Fund.
- Oversee and research applicant campaigns, prepare briefs for the Political Director and Victory Campaign Board, and make recommendations for endorsement.
- Maintain and grow a database of partner groups to maintain relationships which will assist in affectively vetting LGBTQ candidates.
- Notify stakeholders of upcoming elections and their results via election briefs that indicate the impact Victory Fund has had on each race.
Candidate and Campaign Services
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Victory endorsed candidates, including their receipt of financial support and technical assistance from Victory and their participation in our programs.
- Provide ongoing advice and support to candidates regarding fundraising, communications and messaging, earned media, and relationship building via regular check-ins and forums. The Political Manager may advise the Political Director on key field and fundraising actions the Victory Fund should partake based on these interactions.
- Oversee and manage the Victory Fund endorsed candidate portal and the resources contained within, including lists of vendors, tools and guidance on winning campaign messaging.
- Oversee the tracking of all services provided to candidates, including the cross-organization efforts on behalf of those candidates.
- Deploy to assist key Victory Fund electoral priorities in targeted states and oversee all Victory led engagement in a campaign as needed.
Relationships with Electoral Allies
- In coordination with the Political Director, maintain a strong network of political contacts and partnerships with other electoral organizations to broaden the base of political support for LGBTQ candidates and Victory Fund.
- Work with the Political Associate to identify partner organizations for joint support of our endorsed candidate.
- Increase candidate prospecting and the recruitment pipeline in partnership with other organizations.
- Serve as a liaison on partner calls for Victory Fund and advocate for our endorsed candidates.
- Work to grow the recognition of Victory Fund as the premier organization for LGBTQ candidates.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 3-5 years of significant campaign experience, ideally with some portion of that time spent at a PAC, statewide organization, party committee or national campaign.
- Wide range of electoral experience including campaign plans, communications and fundraising, as well as the ability to impart those experiences in an educative way.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- Approaches work with commitment, flexibility and diligence.
- Sincere commitment to Victory’s mission.
- Able to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, volunteers, candidates and partner organizations.
- Self-starter, able to work independently when needed.
Salary range for this position is $46,000 – $53,000
Victory is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter, including salary requirements, and resume to [email protected] . No phone calls or walk-ins please.