Washington, DC – Twenty-four out LGBTQ candidates won their elections last night in the Texas primary, a historic number and a 33 percent increase from 2020 when 18 candidates won. Ten of these candidates are running for the Texas state legislature, a body with just six out LGBTQ members currently serving.
LGBTQ Victory Fund endorsed candidate Venton Jones advanced to a runoff election in his race for the Texas state House. Jones would be the first out LGBTQ Black man ever elected to the state legislature. He would also be the first out LGBTQ Black state legislator in the U.S. who is openly HIV-positive. Jolanda Jones, also running for the state House, advanced to a runoff election as well. She would be the first out LGBTQ Black woman elected to the state legislature.
Christian Hayes, who is also running for state legislature and whose race has not yet been called, would join Venton Jones in being the first LGBTQ Black men elected to the state legislature if he wins in November.
Mayor Annise Parker, President & CEO of LGBTQ Victory Fund, released the following statement about the election:
“Texans’ voices rang loud and clear: we demand change. Not because the policies coming out of Austin are merely short-sighted, but because they are dangerous for our community. From attacks on voting rights to anti-trans legislation to brazen homophobia, we need advocates at the table willing to get in the ring and fight for our fundamental freedoms. Time and time again, we witness how unequitable representation creates a ripple effect of hate and harmful policies that impact all our lives. Enough is enough.
Yesterday, we made history. Today, we continue the fight with rekindled enthusiasm.”
While some races have yet to be called, the following LGBTQ Victory Fund-endorsed candidates have won their primary or advanced to runoff elections:
Candidates Who Won Their Primary
- Shannon Baldwin, Harris County Criminal Court
- Jason Cox, Harris County Probate Court
- Jessica Gonzalez, Texas House of Representatives
- Mary Gonzalez, Texas House of Representatives
- Stacy Hackenberg, Williamson County Justice of the Peace
- Ann Johnson, Texas House of Representatives
- Julie Johnson, Texas House of Representatives
- Jim Kovach, Harris County Civil Court at Law
- Sara Martinez, Dallas County Justice of the Peace
- Beau Miller, 190th Judicial District Court
- Tonya Parker, Dallas County 116th Judicial District Court
- Jerry Simoneaux, Harris County Probate Court
- Erin Zwiener, Texas House of Representatives
Candidates Who Will Advance to Runoff Elections
More information about all of Victory Fund’s endorsed candidates is available at victoryfund.org/ourcandidates.
LGBTQ Victory Fund
LGBTQ Victory Fund works to achieve and sustain equality by increasing the number of openly LGBTQ elected officials at all levels of government while ensuring they reflect the diversity of those they serve. Since 1991, Victory Fund has helped thousands of openly LGBTQ candidates win local, state and federal elections.